Becoming a digital nomad in 2021 can be quite complicated due to the current worldwide situation but where there is a will, there is a way and in this post, I will show you how to become a digital nomad in 2021, it is not as hard as you think and after reading this article, you will have all the know-how to become a successful digital nomad, to earn money whilst traveling to amazing places and getting to know some interesting people, so let us dive straight in and explain what a digital nomad is and how you can make your dreams come true.
What Is A Digital Nomad?
A digital nomad is a person who is free to travel the world and they fund their living and traveling costs by working online (Remote Working).
Usually, the digital nomad would be someone who is young and with no family commitments, but this is not always necessary as there have been many travelers in their 40’s 50’s and even in their 60’s which I have read about.
A common practice for digital nomads is for the individual to already be set-up financially (By finding a way to make money online) and then basically travel with their laptop or smartphone but stopping off at places where there is an internet connection and then working on whatever they choose to do online which makes them money.
There are many ways to make money online and I will mention a few of them as we go on in this post but now I will mention a few places in the world that are perfect for digital nomads to travel to.
Top 10 Best Countries For Digital Nomads
There are so many wonderful countries for digital nomads to stay in but you have to take into consideration the cost of living and I find the best countries for digital nomads and with cheap living costs are the following…
- Czech Republic
- Estonia (They love digital nomads)
Thailand is one of the most popular destinations for digital nomads, with the many cafe’s offering superb wifi connection, you are sure to meet fellow ex-pats within the community, especially in places such as Chiang Mai, Bangkok, and Koh Lanta. Thailand also has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, a nomad’s dream.
The Philippines is another beautiful destination for digital nomads, with the beautiful beaches, clear skies, low-cost living, and very friendly people, you can see why a lot of ex-pats decide to move out to the Philipines permanently.
With great internet connection all year round sunshine Bali is a perfect and highly popular destination for digital nomads with locations such as Canggu and Ubud, you can be sure to meet many more ex-pats. Bali also has excellent beaches and perfect surf.
The Czech Republic
The Czech Republic is another interesting country to visit with Prague being very popular for freelancers. Prague has many historical buildings and you will often feel a relaxed atmosphere when visiting this city. The cost of living is fairly cheap compared to most European countries, which makes the Czech Republic a great hotspot for ex-pats
Spain is a lovely place to visit, I have even spent a lot of time living in Spain, with the longest time being 4 months, I regularly spend my winter months in Spain, mostly in the north of Costa Blanca where life so relaxed and the cost of living is fairly cheap. Many digital nomads choose to live in Barcelona but I do think that this is more of an expensive option for Spain.
Portugal is becoming very popular for digital nomads, especially in places such as Lisbon. With super fast internet speeds, great outdoor living, Portugal is not one of the cheapest countries to stay but if you stick to a budget, then you can have an amazing time and meet fellow ex-pats.
Estonia is the first country to provide visas especially for anyone who works online and also has internet access as part of human rights. Tallinn Estonia is also the birthplace of the software for Skype, so you can see Estonia is very digital nomad friendly with many coffee shops offering super fast internet speeds, Estonia is a great place to visit in the summer months but can be very cold in the winter.
Cyprus is a lovely destination, with its amazing beaches, great bars, and restaurants. You can choose a relaxed or lively lifestyle if you were to visit Cyprus. With reasonable living costs, Cyrpus is becoming highly popular for digital nomads from around the globe.
Colombia is great if you are into hiking and mountain scenery, with Medellin being the top destination for people working online. Colombia is a relativity new choice of countries for ex-pats to locate but with cheap living costs and good wifi connection, Colombia is becoming more and more popular.
Vietnam is a great place to visit even though (depending on your location) the internet connection is sometimes slow there are many amazing places to stay in Vietnam, with the most popular being Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi.
How to Make Money as a Digital Nomad
There are numerous ways to make money as a digital nomad which will enable you to fund your travels and the best way, in my opinion, is to start your travel blog which I will mention more about later on but these other options can be beneficial too…
- Teach English as a foreign language (TEFL): You could become an English teacher and teach people online and at a time which suits you, it is very easy to get started. You will have to take a course which can be done online, on completion of the course you will receive a certificate which will allow you to teach English. You could teach English online to individuals, or groups. Plus depending on which country you visit, you could even teach directly in schools, China is a great country to teach English as a foreign language.
- Start Your Gig on Fiverr: Fiverr is a great platform where you can earn money from offering your service, there are so many options, you could make money from designing logo’s for business, writing content for bloggers, you could offer translations if you know a second language, you could help teach people about health and fitness (if that’s your thing), you can even offer your services as a personal travel planner, the list is endless and just because it is Fiverr, you do not have to charge $5.00, you can choose your price.
- Work as a Virtual Assistant: Some companies will pay people to work for them as virtual assistants and some pay as much as $30 per hour but you have to be careful who you chose to work for as some pay much less. The work involved in being a VA ranges from Proofreading books and scrips (Checking for grammar mistakes) to writing blog posts, reviews, and articles for websites.
- Managing Social Media Accounts: Many companies are too busy or do not know how to manage their social media so they will pay money for someone to manage it for them and this is a great opportunity for someone like you to get paid for writing posts, answering direct messages, promoting the company and building their brand.
- Affiliate Marketing: This is how I make my money online, I am an Affiliate Marketer and I build websites to promote other website offers, there is great money to be made and if you were to do affiliate marketing, you can do it in your spare time. The most common way how people make money with affiliate marketing is to build a website, write reviews on a certain product, and link to that product, then when someone was to purchase the item, the marketer will get paid a commission, over time this can amount to a lot of revenue and can easily fund your travels. I can work from anywhere in the world doing affiliate marketing by building money making websites and I’m sure you can too by clicking here to find out how I got started
- Starting a Travel Blog: This is what I believe will be best for you and this will be my next project (after my children leave home). Many people travel and blog about their traveling experience and it is simple to do once you understand how to do it because it’s not all about writing, you will need to learn about using certain keywords so people can find you, you will need to learn about social media to gain more followers and most importantly, you will have to learn how to monetize your website. There are several ways in which you can make money from your blog, one of them is what I have already written about which is putting affiliate offers on your website and this can be things such as travel essentials, travel insurance, recommending hotels/hostels, even flights, and transfers but the best way to make money on a travel blog, in my opinion, is to show ads, not with Google Adsense but with highly targeted ads from the higher-paying platforms such as Mediavine but to be accepted for Mediavine you will need at least 50,000 monthly visitors to your blog which is very achievable once you learn how to build and promote your travel blog.
Join a Digital Nomad Community
You do not want to do this without further guidance so it,s best to join a digital nomad community where like-minded people are traveling the world, giving tips and tricks about living as digital nomads, this can be advice about which cities to explore, where are the best places to stay, the safest foods to eat and most importantly, how to keep yourself safe.
There are many forums where you could find out more advice on platforms such as FaceBook, Reddit or you could join a platform specially built for digital nomads such as nomadlist.com
How to Become a Digital Nomad in 2021 Conclusion
Well, there you have it, a simple guide on how to become a digital nomad in 2021, I have shown you the best countries for digital nomads and how to make money as a digital nomad and I suggest that you join a few forums and communities to further your research but basically, you can have the life that you truly desire by following these simple guidances.
I also recommend that you start to build your online blog/website or learn about the other ways to make money online before you begin to travel and by doing this you are sure to make a guaranteed income for yourself and you will be safe knowing that you have a solid and reliable income coming to you whilst you travel.
If you are serious about traveling and making more than enough money to cover your traveling/living costs, then check out this post where you will learn how to build your very own traveling blog or your very own affiliate website, you can even start for free today. Click here to read my #1 recommendation to get started and make your traveling dreams come true.
Please feel free to leave a comment down below
I wish you all the best for your future.
Ready To Earn Your First $1,000 Online?
I would like to help you make your first $1,000 online.
By following the link below, you can be part of the amazing training platform that helped me make my first $1,000 online and you gain instant access to this for FREE (no payment card required!